Sometimes stumbling can be an awesome. For e.g. one Monday morning I was looking for some added perspectives on ‘Mastery’ and stumbled across this beautiful line …
“Mastery is a product of continually going beyond our limits” (Stewart Emery).
Cashman in his book ‘Leadership from the inside out’ has written about 7 different approaches to mastery which he views as fundamental to leadership.
Irrespective of your current leadership ‘role’, have a gander at these...
1. “Personal Mastery: Leading with Awareness and Authenticity”
= knowing, mapping + learning what you want to become.
2. “Purpose Mastery: Leading on Purpose”
= identifying your ‘signature’ strengths + expressing them in fulfilling purposeful ways.
3. “Interpersonal Mastery: Leading Through Synergy and Service”
= Listening (less talk, more listen) + straight talk + appreciation.
4. “Change Mastery: Leading with Agility”
= Adapt + be flexible + responsive (not reactive).
5. “Resilience Mastery: Leading with Energy”
= Managing your energy.
6. “Being Mastery: Leading with Presence”
= expressing ‘you’ + being present.
7. “Action Mastery: Leading Through Coaching”
= Coaching ‘you’ + ‘others’ to next levels of possibility.
Take a moment to consider reflecting on these quick questions…
· Which one is your favourite form of mastery?
· Where are there opportunities to introduce more mastery?
Pick one, then go test it.