An Inverse Schedule
You’ve heard of keeping a schedule but have you heard of an unschedule?
Fiore describes an unschedule as a “calendar of committed recreational activities that divides the week into manageable pieces with breaks, meals, scheduled socializing and play,to focus first on planned recreation.”
UNSCHEDULE = PLANNED RECREATION + DEDICATED WORK TIME
Fiore offers these guidelines for the UNSCHEDULE
- Schedule in all your non-work related activities such as exercise, social life, sleep times, meals, travel etc.
- Track every 30 minutes of work you do and put it in your schedule only after you’ve completed it.
- After 30 minutes of focused work switch to a more enjoyable activity as a reward.
- Concentrate on getting the start time right rather than the end time.
- Approach your goals by taking small steps in 30 minute or less time blocks.
- If you get stuck, don’t stop but rather keep going for another 5 minutes and try and find a solution.
- Don’t stop when you are stuck. Go five minutes more and seek a solution.